Running Springs, CA asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Contracts for California

Q: What permits/licenses are required in unincorporated San Bernardino County CA to sell and sample prepackaged jerky?

What is required to sell (with manufacturer's blessing) in the following settings:

• supply a small retail store

•give samples a inside store (following health codes provided by manufacturer)

•sell online

•direct sales & samples at public events (farmer's market, street fair)

•direct sales & samples at a store's grand opening

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Lopez
Robert Lopez
  • Irvine, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hi, the permits/licenses you will need depend on where you are going to "cook" your product as well as where you are going to sell your food. Since you are planning on making your jerky in unincorporated San Bernardino, CA, you should start with the County of San Bernardino. Their website pages that deal with food preparation is: The best place to start out is If you are serving the food, you should also check out: If you are going to sell the products under a name different than your own, you will need to either incorporate with the California Secretary of State or get a fictitious business name from the county of San Benardino here: You may also need to register with the Franchise Tax Board and get a seller's permit. Then, you may need to register with the city/county where your stores/farmer's markets/street sales are located. This will vary by location. There may be more registrations needed as well depending on each city and what else you are doing. If you would like to go forward this, feel free to contact me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.