Brigham City, UT asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Utah

Q: I have raised my nephew as my son, my sister has been collecting child support for him do i have a right to sue her?

he has been with me since he was 2 1/2 ( all verbal agreement)

1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: If you are doing it voluntarily, then no you don't have a right to sue her. She is supposed to be using the funds she is collecting to take care of her son. If she isn't, then the son has a claim or the father has a claim against her. If you are the guardian of the son then you might as well.

With only volunteer status, you don't have standing to assert a claim on the child support funds received by your sister.

I hope this helps.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.