Riverside, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for California

Q: Hi my name is Melissa I really need help trying to find out what tax law allows a taxpayer to have a escrow company put

I am trying to get a hard money loan mortgage against my property and were about to close escrow and just found out thatI am trying to get a hard money loan mortgage against my property and were about to close escrow and just found out that there are a tax lien from IRS and state against my property I had this problem once before selling a property I live in California when we got to this problem the last time I was advised by a tax attorney that the escrow company by law had to offer me the option to put the amounts delete and were 4 into a separate escrow account and hold it there for up to by law a 180 days for me to be able to get the paperwork together and take care of the tax liens separate or if I don't owe the money be able to prove it and if I could not prove it then the escrow company would automatically released the funds to the IRS or state is that still in effect that law because I'm running into a problem with this current escrow title company saying that they don't have

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Frank Huerta Jr
Frank Huerta Jr
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Fresno, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should really determine if you owe the money. You want to find out what tax years the lien covers. Call the IRS or State to ask for a record of your account. If you have already paid it off then fill out a lien discharge request. If you are disputing the underlying debt you can either file an audit reconsideration or in some cases file an offer in compromise doubt as to liability. If you do owe the money, then contact the IRS lien unit about paying off the balance and ask for the lien discharge. They can approve it if it will facilitate the collection of the debt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.