Compton, CA asked in Estate Planning for Washington

Q: When drafting a will and power of attorney, can we work with an attorney outside the county in which we reside?

My husband and I live in a relatively rural area and county with few estate attorneys. However, we are 30 miles away from our state capital (which is also in a different county) where there are more estate attorneys. Does it matter where an attorney's practice is located when filing our will at the county court house where we reside?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Greg Freeze
Greg Freeze
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Port Townsend, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Wow. You question remained unanswered for a couple of months. This is now answered on your more recent post. The short answer remains, something like, if you want to leave your small town to go somewhere else, that will work. But, it will also work just fine with a local attorney. The choice is yours.

Disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.