Tampa, FL asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Divorce needed. The couple has been separated for 18 years, the child is almost 21, back child support is being paid

which is out of this world. The couples now adult child doesn't and hasn't lived with her for quite some time now. She claimed the child all these years on her taxes never allowing the father to claim him resulting in the back support never getting reduced. And the child doesn't see this income. He has had to quit college and can't afford to go as she doesn't help him with the $500 a month that she does receive. At one point in time this mother didn't live with the two oldest of the children as she left them with the father of the second child. This money is helping to support her 3rd child. She has two other children by two different men, one father has custody of his child and she lives with the other father of the 3rd child. She agreed at one point to sign off on half of what was owed as she knew she had claimed him on her taxes all this time. Is there someone that can help assist with this divorce and doing something about the child support?

1 Lawyer Answer
Heather Lee Mayer
Heather Lee Mayer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, you could be assisted with this but more information would be necessary. If you would like to schedule a complimentary consultation with my office feel free to call (904) 330-0289 or email us at tyson.denson.law@gmail.com.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.