Inglewood, CA asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Municipal Law and Small Claims for California

Q: I am the defendant in a case where the original judge took a matter under submission.

The plaintiff was suing me for 10,000. This amount includes rents collected after my father passed away. I agree I owed her for that, however the deposits I refuse to pay. The plaintiff did not provide a contract, its just word of mouth details. My father was a realtor and he negotiated a lease hold with the plaintiff father. The small claims amount includes deposits that were negotiated by the plaintiff father and my father 20 years ago. I was forced to pay back the rents by a Inglewood detective prior to the small claims. After hearing the case, the judge ruled in the plaintiff for $3000. This submission did not specify what the amount was for. Which leads the plaintiff thinking the $3000 is for deposits. I would assume the judge is making sure i paid the rents plus the court fees. So I submitted my proof of payment. The courts accepted my satisfied judgement and a new judge reinstated the original amount based on the fact that I paid the plaintiff before judgement was entered.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman
  • Palm Springs, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I don't know the details of your case, but when a plaintiff wins a small claims judgment you have 30 days from the date the judgment is entered into the court record to appeal the judge's decision. If the 30 days have not run, you should immediately file an appeal of the decision with the Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.