Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Municipal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Animal / Dog Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: My outdoor cat was feral, then I tamed him. He isn't registered. I need to take him to the vet. Will he be impounded?

Will I be fined? Also, do vets care if pets are not registered? Do they offer pet registration services? I couldn't find anything on these in my city (Fremont)'s ordinances or regulations, so please let me know what the city law would say about this.

William John Light
William John Light answered on Jul 27, 2020

Whether vets report unregistered pets isn't a legal question. Call the vet and ask. I've never heard of that happening, but I don't know the practices of every veterinarian.

Fremont requires a license for every dog or cat that is owned, maintained or boarded that is over...
Read more »

Q: My small town with a population less than 10K is on track to pay the city attorney 500K annually. Is this normal?
George W. Wolff Esq.
George W. Wolff Esq. answered on May 8, 2020

It does seem excessive.

Did they handle any litigation for the City?

Maybe they should put it out for bid?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Intellectual Property and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Our house was condemned due to a fire and i dont have any place to go my boyfriend's parent's own the house but was

Arrested for tresspassing twice his parents knew we were staying there and i missed my court dates cause i dont have any transportation to get from barstow to Victorville now i have warrants am i going to go to jail

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 3, 2020

more info needed.

you need to get a public defender to surrender you to the court to quash the warrant and explain to the court your position.

be careful posting on an open forum like this as anyone can read it..........

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Who does make sure cities in a state ( California) comply with state laws?
Michael Doland
Michael Doland answered on Dec 24, 2019

Your question is too vague to permit any analysis. What laws?

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: neighbors dog broken multiple fence boards in attempts to attack my kids, authorities don’t seem to care, what do I do?

I’ve contacted the owner, animal control, city code enforcement and local police and none of them either seem to care or say there is nothing they can do, I feel the system is failing me here and leaving me no safe options. I need some advice on how to proceed.

William John Light
William John Light answered on Nov 13, 2019

It seems that you need a better fence. Six foot chain link or masonry so that the dog can't chew through it. If it's wood or chain link, beware. The dog can also dig under it. Neighbors have an obligation to share the expenses of a property line fence, assuming that you have otherwise... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Where can I find a pro bono attorney? My intentions is to file case against Hayward Police Department, Alameda County

Justice system( court houses) and All day towing. Is there any way that you guys can help me find a pro bono attorney that is willing to fight for me. I went to Legal Aid in Hayward courthouse and they told me they cannot help me because I have a big case

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Jul 30, 2019

Contact the County Bar Association in your county and ask for their lawyer referral service to request they refer you to a lawyer who can assist you with your case. You may not find someone to help you pro bono, but if you have a good case you won't have too much trouble finding a good lawyer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: can person name another to act on their behalf in lawsuit due to age & health reasons?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 25, 2019

You really should discuss this with an attorney who practices in California. As a general matter, a power of attorney could enable a person to appoint another to act on their behalf in some settings, but a lawsuit is something that can personally involve a party, in terms of giving testimony,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Municipal Law for California on
Q: I am handicapped the association removed my handicapped sign because it had my apartment number on it is that legal
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 4, 2019

The landlord is required to have a certain number of handicapped spaces depending upon the size of the parking lot. They are not required to allow a tenant to put their name or apartment number on the handicapped parking sign. In fact, if they do that it might cause them to be in violation of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Municipal Law and Small Claims for California on
Q: I am the defendant in a case where the original judge took a matter under submission.

The plaintiff was suing me for 10,000. This amount includes rents collected after my father passed away. I agree I owed her for that, however the deposits I refuse to pay. The plaintiff did not provide a contract, its just word of mouth details. My father was a realtor and he negotiated a lease... Read more »

Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman answered on Feb 7, 2019

I don't know the details of your case, but when a plaintiff wins a small claims judgment you have 30 days from the date the judgment is entered into the court record to appeal the judge's decision. If the 30 days have not run, you should immediately file an appeal of the decision with the Court.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Military Law, Municipal Law and Probate for California on
Q: My father just passed I'm his daughter there is no will and I need to know if I have any rights to his military benefits

His present wife never allowed him to be in our lives mom married him his first enlist year I was born un1964 he had vasectomy to ensure me and mynow deceased brother would have something after his death he married his wife after an affair my brother was still his custody but he died we didn't... Read more »

Richard Samuel Price
Richard Samuel Price answered on Jan 16, 2019

His surviving spouse would be entitled to all of the community property that they owned, or any joint tenancy held property. Since he had two children, you both would share 2/3 of his separate property and his surviving spouse would be entitled to 1/3 of his separate property. But if he was... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: If I rent from my friend and her old man getting out of jail with a gun charge can I have my bb gun in my room?
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Nov 6, 2018


1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: What's the max jail time for poss. of ammunition?

My husband found some bullets on his way to the post office but was pulled over on his bike for not stopping at a stop sign minutes after he found them. Because he is an ex-con, he was arrested and charged with possession of ammunition. The Public Pretender he has is not trying to help him at all.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 25, 2018



Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: There's a law on the books in my city (Long Beach, CA) that no one knows the penalty for violating.

For reference, it's Long Beach Municipal Code 10.18.040. Cops can't even write a ticket or arrest someone for it, because there's no code. So instead they just tell you to leave the city! I'd like to find out what the actual penalty is.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 29, 2018

I would call the city attorney in LB

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: I need help with my case. Judge threw out writ of Non-prosecution from victim and denied me my right to a speedy trial

me an ex were fighting He had sister call 911 he told her to say i was on my way with 2 firearms she also said i was driving up an down their street yet denies seeing me. Im proper i have call recording.Cop arrives, No suspect, all 3 adults DENY seeing me DENY positive ID of car, DENY hearing a... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 21, 2018



1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Legal Malpractice, Military Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Is pepper spray illegal? If not then what other legalities are connected to it? Aka subdivisions.

Subdivisions...age of consent

possible prior conviction...

Does it depend on whether indoors/outdoors etc.

William John Light
William John Light answered on Jan 10, 2018

Penal Code Title 2: Control of Deadly Weapons Chapter 4: Tear Gas Weapons Article 1: General Provisions Section 12403.7

Notwithstanding any other law, any person may purchase, possess, or use tear gas and tear gas weapons for the projection or release of tear gas if the tear gas and tear...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for California on
Q: is there a provision in California statutes by which a municipality is required to indemnify police officers
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 29, 2017

Not clear what this is in regard to? For costs of defense? Please reframe. If you are an officer, the relevant FOP unit or it's attorney could answer your question.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Federal Crimes, International Law and Municipal Law for California on

In Journal of Civil LAW Studies-Translations Preface to the LAWS of the SIETE PARTIDAS WHICH are STILL in FORCE in the STATES,? Etc...In 1769 an the SETTLING OF ALTA CALIFORNIA and SPANISH INSTITUTIONS,PRESIDIOS ('THE ROYAL FORT,SAN DIEGO'),MISSIONS ( Ecclesiastical Laws)And PUEBLOS- LOS... Read more »

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Dec 28, 2017

I’m not going to take the time for the historical research, but IIRC, California was surrendered to the US by Act of War from Spain at the end of the Spanish-American War. Nothing prior to the conquest counts at International Law unless the victor affirmatively adopts it. Often, the victor adopts... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Can CA city councils enact ord. concerning an approved for circulation petition that are different than the petition

I have submitted a petition to add a specific ordinance to the city code. While I am gathering signatures, can the city council pass an ordinance that is different from the one I am circulating? Are they restricted from doing anything except pass the proposed ordinance in the petition.

David Keith Hicks
David Keith Hicks answered on Dec 6, 2017

Yes, of course they can. If they follow the rules for hearings, readings etc. You at the same time can proceed with your "different" petition. You can tell signers what the difference is if you like.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Rights and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Can a city choose to allow cannabis related businesses even if it is banned inside the same county?
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Nov 6, 2017

The short answer is probably yes. Many small cities are looking to take advantage of the relaxed marijuana laws as a source of income for the residents.

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Is it legal to sleep on my own flat roof? To hang out up there and enjoy the sunset in a lawn chair?

I live in Fairfax, CA. I have a neighbor who doesn't like that I do this, even though we can hardly see each other's houses through the trees. I'd be willing to put up a railing if that's an issue.

Gerald Barry Dorfman
Gerald Barry Dorfman answered on Aug 16, 2017

To get a definitive opinion, you will probably have to pay an attorney to research this for you. If you want to take a shot at it yourself, check the Marin County Code and any Fairfax ordinances. However, as with most neighbor disputes, you should try to come to some agreement. Try speaking with... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.