South Hamilton, MA asked in Consumer Law for Massachusetts

Q: I am trying find if there is a law in Massachusetts that says you cannot charge for services not rendered.

I was charged for extra services on a product that the services were not completed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Alan Waksman
Zachary Alan Waksman
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: Massachusetts’ consumer protection statute (Chapter 93A) forbids charging for services not rendered. The law calls this an unfair or deceptive practice. If you prove it to have happened and that you suffered damages, you will be entitled to double or treble damages plus attorneys fees. Some actions are 93A violations as a matter of law.

Right now, more information is needed. Was there a contract memorializing what you were supposed to get? Were there any other issues that arose which contributed to your not receiving all of what you paid for? Delays?

An attorney will be able to help you determine whether you have a viable claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.