Burlington, MA asked in DUI / DWI and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire

Q: Can I represent a friend in a New Hampshire court of law?

I am an 18 year old civilian without a law license.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew S. Winters
Andrew S. Winters
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Concord, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: Theoretically, the law allows for this. Read RSA 311:1: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXX/311/311-1.htm

HOWEVER, I would never recommend this to either the potential litigant or the person thinking about representation this way. It is very likely to end badly for all involved.

If you are interested, there was a fair amount of press and legal opinions on this issue about 15 years ago involving a non-lawyer named Theodore Kamaskinski in New Hampshire. Just google it.

The exception might be a family member helping with a minor matter like a speeding ticket or a small claim where hiring a lawyer is not cost effective. Even then, be very careful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.