Lawrence Township, NJ asked in Domestic Violence and Divorce for New Jersey

Q: Hi my ex wife put a restraining order out on me she lied on the paperwork what can i do

She trying to ruin me I need help

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer PRO label
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney, with extensive domestic violence trial experience to help you and represent you in this case. Do not let geographic restrictions get in the way of retaining the best attorney. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price.

William N. Sosis
William N. Sosis
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Hackettstown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: This is very serious. You only have 10 days before a final restraining order hearing. This gives you incredibly little time. If there's still time left (2-3 days) there's fortunately a legal technique that a knowledgeable attorney can use that gets you more time to defend yourself against any false allegations. But you must quickly contact an attorney who has experience with this. Having a final restraining order entered against you is very ugly. They stay with you until you get them vacated (can be many years), they carry lots of collateral consequences, and, if you have children, you can even lose some of your parental rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.