Chestertown, MD asked in Adoption and Family Law for Maryland

Q: Can I get my son’s bio fathers right revoked so my fiancé can adopt him?

I’ve had full legal and physical custody of my son always. His bio father never met him, never contributed anything. He was a drug user and a criminal and he scammed me. It’s been almost 5 years with no contact. My fiancé is the only dad my son has ever known. My ex is vindictive and violent and if we have to serve him papers he will fight just to spite me even though he has no interest in my son. I’ve never asked for nor received child support either, never. Is it possible to get his rights revoked without having to serve him or go to court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Renee Gould
Dawn Renee Gould
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: No, he will have to be served. He has a right to a hearing on terminating his parental rights, which must be done prior to a hearing on adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.