Maryland Adoption Questions & Answers

Q: Can I get my son’s bio fathers right revoked so my fiancé can adopt him?

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Maryland on
Answered on Feb 23, 2019
Dawn Renee Gould's answer
No, he will have to be served. He has a right to a hearing on terminating his parental rights, which must be done prior to a hearing on adoption.

Q: Hello! I have questions about stepparent adoption.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Maryland on
Answered on Feb 2, 2019
Mark Oakley's answer
If your daughter ‘s natural father is still living, you will need his consent, or will have to serve him with legal papers to respond and if he fails to object you can proceed by default. With consent of the natural father, the procedure is fairly straight forward. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and your daughter's new father!

Q: Am I entitled to my birth fathers inheritance even if I was adopted when I was 12? I'm his sole child.who's the executor

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Maryland on
Answered on Nov 8, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
So, if I am understanding your question, your were adopted away from your birth father, and legally became the child of your adoptive father. By law, that means you are no longer the child of your birth father for any legal purpose, including the right to inherit any part of your birth father’s estate. On the other hand, you are now deemed to be the child of your adoptive parent, with all the legal rights as if you were the natural born child of that parent.

Q: Mother’s best friend secretly filed for custody of my sister. Any good chance of getting her back?

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Maryland on
Answered on Feb 28, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
Your family needs a lawyer, but yes, you can at the very least petition for visitation if not full custody. Is the father still in the picture? He would have greater rights to petition for custody, but any close family member could qualify. More facts are needed, and a consult with a lawyer to explore all the circumstances is the only sensible way to proceed.

Q: Is it possible to adopt a friend with 37 years of age

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Maryland on
Answered on Feb 17, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
There is no age limitation to adoptions.

Q: A company sent me a check for $1000. It was written to me, and came with no explanation. Now they want it back.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Maryland on
Answered on Feb 10, 2018
Mark Oakley's answer
Yes, you are. You cannot keep something you received by mistake. You will lose in court if they file a claim.

Q: Is consent of bio dad needed for stepdad adoption if mom has legal /physical custody? See MORE INFORMATION for story

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Maryland on
Answered on Dec 7, 2016
Bennett James Wills' answer
Short answer is yes: biological father needs to consent or you'll need to go through the legal process to terminate his rights. You need to consult local counsel. There are many moving parts to your situation that would need to be evaluated.

Q: I have been the father of my 8 year old daughter for 6 years Her dad has been absent for 5 years. Adopt help?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Maryland on
Answered on Sep 6, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
Go to a local adoption attorney for the specific advice that you need. Basically, the father has to consent and there is usually no way around this. If he will not consent, then perhaps a child support action should be filed, only a local family/adoption attorney is going to know the right way to do things in your state.

Q: Options for bringing Adopted Child to US :Myself and my husband are currently on EAD (employment based) status. We have

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Adoption for Maryland on
Answered on Aug 24, 2015
Shan Dimitris Potts' answer
We need to know what kind of visa you are on. EAD just means you have a work permit to work legally in the United States, it does not say anything about the type of visa you have. If you are on legal visa you will be able to bring the child here as a dependant and to guide you properly I need know the type of visa you and your husband are on. All the best and congratulations on the adoption.

"15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature...

Q: Do I have to have a attoney to file for stepparrent adoption in maryland

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Maryland on
Answered on Apr 23, 2012
Cedulie Renee Laumann's answer
No, hiring an attorney is not mandatory. A petitioner may file for adoption either "pro se" (self represented) or with an attorney. Because the law requires that adoption proceedings follow various rules and procedures, it may well be a good idea to hire an attorney for such a proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.