Jackson, WY asked in Immigration Law for Wyoming

Q: Look below for entire question.

My Girlfriend from Mexico whom I met while doing volunteer work in Ecuador came to visit me, after I returned to the United States, entering the country with a valid travel visa. After 2 months, I decided we could not live without each other and we got married.

If she travels back to Mexico to arrange her affairs, will she be able to re-enter the U.S. as she is married to a U.S citizen? Should I go with her? Would that improve her chances of being allowed re-entry? The 6 month stay limit on her travel visa is less than a month away.

Please advise.

Thank you for your prompt response.

R Wayne Wood

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: In general, A person will be admitted into the USA if they have a valid visa and go through inspection. Admission may be denied if the visa is expired or the person has overstayed their visa. Also, BP had discretion to cancel a visa if they suspect immigration intent.

Just being married to a USC is not sufficient. The proper petition and application must be filed with the USCIS in order for a spouse to adjust,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.