Sylvania, GA asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: I had questions about my child custody case that CPS was involved with in September 2017

His mother in Indiana has custody right now. There was no child custody order in place before September 2017. His mother and I split up December 2015. I wound up moving from Indiana to North Carolina January 1, 2016. That same month his mother started harassing me bc she couldn't deal with him and handle him anymore. She wanted me to come pick him up and live with me in North Carolina. He came to live with me March 2016. On September 15 2017 someone called CPS in Jacksonville, NC and accused me of abuse. The Social Workers involved with the case withheld information from me, did not follow procedure when they took temporary custody of my son, refused to file any testimonies or evidence that my family and I submitted to them, contacted some of my family members who could have taken custody of my son instead of his mother and told them they didn't need to show up for the initial court hearing bc no decisions were going to be made on the case. They did a lot more.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela McIlveen
Angela McIlveen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: This is an unfortunate situation. With CPS involved you need to talk with an attorney to determine what can be done now. It sounds like there are a lot of documents to be reviewed before someone could give you good advice. Time is of the essence as there is likely a plan involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.