Moscow, ID asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho

Q: If my wife has 50/50 custody but only actually takes <20% custody, can I get out of paying child support?

My wife and I are legally separated, I pay her monthly for child support based on 50/50 custody, The children live with me full time and the only time my wife accepts custody is when I am out of town for work. She takes the custody in my home watching the children. In the last 6+ months that has constituted her only taking about 30 days of custody which is roughly a 85/15 split instead of 50/50. I looked at a child support calculator, and based on this split and the children living with me, it seems like not only should I not be paying child support, but she should be paying me child support. Can I petition the court to change the custody agreement based on this? And is there any way for me to get any of the child support I have paid her back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Everything you have stated tells me that there is NO court order for child support, correct? If there is NO order then you would have a case in Small Claims Court to get back the difference between what you've actually paid and what the child support calculator says, but a different judge MIGHT say that what you've paid is a "gift," on behalf of your child. It's always best to go to court and let the court set a payment consistent with the Child Support Guidelines.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.