Forest Hills, NY asked in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for New York

Q: My son got hit by a car he’s brain-dead what do I do how do

Is the first time in this kind of situation what do I do do I should as the driver who hit my son or the other Driver that hit him the second time

3 Lawyer Answers

Jonathan Bradford Ripps

  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Hello – I am terribly sorry for your situation. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to discuss causes of action. We are available if you would like to speak further.

Jon Ripps

Michael Bersani

  • Auburn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: So sorry about this awful accident. You need to reach out to a qualified NY State car accident lawyer asap. Your lawyer will investigate (1) liability (who's fault); (2) insurance coverage (there may be some hidden insurance in your own insurance policy besides the insurance provided by the at-fault vehicle). The important thing is to get a lawyer NOW! I'd be happy to give you a free consultation by phone.

Timur Akpinar

  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I'm very sorry. After tending to your son's immediate medical needs, it would be helpful for you to consult with an attorney who could begin to sort out exactly how the accident occurred. For now, make sure that a no-fault claim has been processed. An attorney could assist you with this as well. New York is a no-fault state, and medical benefits (under PIP) must be filed for immediately so that medical services for your son will be covered. In addition to NYS NF-2 forms, make sure that you complete AOB Forms (Assignment of Benefits) so that the hospital and other treating medical providers would be able to submit their bills directly to insurance carrier. New York no-fault regulations use a 30-day deadline from the date of the accident, but DO NOT wait for nearing the end of the 30-day period - immediately take steps to ensure that a valid claim has been filed.

You will likely receive bills for all the medical services rendered; respond to these without delay and provide the billing offices with the insurance carrier name, claim rep name, phone, claim no., and other related information. It is difficult to worry about no-fault benefits now, but at least by handling them or your attorney handling them properly, it will be one less thing to worry about in the stress of the situation. Good luck and I wish your son the best.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.