New Albany, IN asked in Child Support and Tax Law for Kentucky

Q: My ex has legal custody, support order, kids have lived w/me. Will the state take my taxes

He kept state aid in his name, denied me foodstamps and insurance when they were with me because I could not afford an attorney. He was unemployed and filed for tanf and the state pursued me. The judge dropped the charges at the show cause but support order still stands and I have filed taxes for the first time in years and am worried he will get my refund... a refund I desperately need to help make mine and our kids lives better. What can I do? Order is in Kentucky, the kids and I have lived in indiana for almost 3 years.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Depends whether that child support order requires payment through state of KY it directly to him. If payable to state, they may intercept your taxes. If the support is payable directly to him, you will probably your refund.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.