Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Kentucky Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: My father deeded his farm to me and my brother a month before his death.. He made a will at same time giving us everythi

His wife fought will and deed.. We settled with her for $35,000. How do I figure cost basis of property for tax purposes. Was is gifted, bequested or purchased?

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Aug 2, 2019

It's going to depend on the language in the settlement. That will determine when the property passed, whether as a gift or as part of the estate. If the settlement did not address the issue then I would think the gift would stand as completed and carryover basis would apply. It would be beneficial... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: my grandparents want to send money for college from Iraq, what is the limit, taxation, and process for doing so?
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Jul 30, 2019

There's no tax obligation for you since it's a gift and no tax obligation from the grandparents because it comes from out of the country. This assumes they are not US citizens.

If they are US citizens and the amount exceeds $30,000 a gist tax return would need to be filed and there may be...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: In 2006 my father made a deed to me for the house and land. I received a tax bill every year in my name and paid them

Now they say my dad owes taxes since 2007 and trying to take my land. What do I do

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Jul 7, 2019

Provide evidence of transfer and payment of tax for the years in question.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: My ex has legal custody, support order, kids have lived w/me. Will the state take my taxes

He kept state aid in his name, denied me foodstamps and insurance when they were with me because I could not afford an attorney. He was unemployed and filed for tanf and the state pursued me. The judge dropped the charges at the show cause but support order still stands and I have filed taxes for... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Feb 23, 2019

Depends whether that child support order requires payment through state of KY it directly to him. If payable to state, they may intercept your taxes. If the support is payable directly to him, you will probably your refund.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: Can I use my ITIN instead of a SSN on form W-4 where it asks for a SSN?

I have been offered a job and my employer wants me to fill out form W-4 to withhold taxes. I can’t find an answer as to whether I can use my ITIN instead of a SSN. Please help, someone.

Frank Huerta Jr
Frank Huerta Jr answered on Sep 5, 2018

If you have a valid social security number that belongs to you, you should use that. An ITIN is for tax filing/reporting purposes. It is not intended to use for work.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: Why can my LLC’s liquor/beer License be revoked due to unpaid state taxes by LLC I bought the business from?

I was never made aware of the previous owners delinquent state sales taxes prior to my purchase. And the state of Kentucky even approved and took full payment for my Transitional Liquor License Application. Only then was I informed of the previous owners delinquent sales tax status. If previous... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Apr 17, 2018

Liquor licenses are a highly regulated area by government. When you purchased the LLC you should have been made aware of the back taxes owed. You probably have a cause of action against the sellers for failing to disclose that information.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Employment Law and Immigration Law for Kentucky on
Q: Can someone get income by being involved in direct sales / MLM while on a H1? Thanks

Previously on J1 now on a H1 through j1 waiver

Roger Carl Algase
Roger Carl Algase answered on Jun 16, 2017

An H-1B employee is only allowed to receive income from the H-1B employer as described in the H-1B petition. Working for any other employer would require a new petition or a "concurrent" H-1B petition from the second employer. H-1B also depends on an employer-employee relationship. One cannot run... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: I have a job offer in India. My family will stay in US. Would I have to pay tax to US? If so, how would I pay for it.

I was asked by the company in India how to process the part of tax that I'm responsible to pay for US. I have no idea what type of tax I would be responsible to pay and I have no idea how I would pay from overseas. Please kindly advise me of those questions. Thank you.

Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya answered on Jun 5, 2017

US citizens living abroad still have to comply with US tax obligations. I have provided links to the IRS website, which should answer many of your questions.

Filing requirements for US citizens...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: My father passed away with no assets. His home is in foreclosure. Do I need to probate will or file taxes on his behalf?

He owned a home that is in foreclosure and he owes approximately $2,500 in bills. He has no money in the bank and not assets. Do I need to file a tax return? He would likely get a small return but figured that would go to pay the bills anyway so wasn't sure if I had to file.

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Apr 5, 2017

No one is OBLIGATED to begin probate for anyone -- particularly when it makes no financial sense to do so, If the CREDITORS want to try to get at whatever assets they can then THEY will have authority to file probate, deal with the IRS etc.

If you have the original will however, state law...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Social Security for Kentucky on
Q: Can the IRS levy your SSI? I only recieve 735.00 a month & they took my whole 100.00 savings leaving my acct with zero.

I just found out the IRS took my 100.00 savings out of US BANK listed as a tax levy and it left me with only 56.00 dollars to live on for the rest of the month. I only get a total of 735.00 a month for SSI and now if they are taking money out of that i will not be able to even survive as i barely... Read more »

Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya answered on Feb 11, 2017

Contact a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic in your area. You can run a search by going to the Taxpayer Advocate Service website.

If your situation is accurate, the clinic should be able to help you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: I have a invoice on rental uniforms in Paducah ky that isn't charging me taxes is this correct?
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Nov 16, 2016

If a vendor is not collecting sales tax it is your responsibility as a purchaser to remit proper use tax to the state, county, and city as applicable. The sales tax and use tax are essentially the same, it simply depends on who is paying the tax. What taxes are applicable will depend on where you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: My son had side business paid no taxes. Now figured out he should what does he need to do now.
Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya answered on Sep 26, 2016

You should find a Tax Controversy attorney to handle the matter. There are a lot of different ramifications that depend on the exact factual scenario.

For example, a "side business" that involves occasionally making trinkets and selling them on Etsy is very different from a "side...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Kentucky on
Q: How do I find out if my deceased Mother in laws property in Jenkins Ky. in being sold for back taxes?
Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi answered on Nov 18, 2013

In general tax sales take place by the sheriff of the county of situs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.