Orlando, FL asked in Elder Law for Florida

Q: What should my medicaid dependent mother (ICP) do if she overlooked a cash value $4K insurance policy she had from 2012?

My mother has been in a nursing home since 2012 and my father had a $50K face value life insurance policy with a cash surrender value that has increases to about $4K for many months. Should she borrow money against it, will Medicaid ask for their money back if it was an oversight?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lauren Nagel Richardson
Lauren Nagel Richardson
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I would need some more facts to help you with this question. Is your father still living? If he is still living, and he does not also live in a nursing home, then he can have $126,420. in assets. The facts you provide are a little bit unclear as to who owns this policy. You are welcome to repost the question with more information or you are welcome to call my office for a free 15 minute phone consultation, and I will do my best to answer this question for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.