Union, NJ asked in Divorce and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: Hello. I’ve received a motion from my ex husband to lower child support and I need to know how to respond

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew John Economos
Andrew John Economos
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If you are able, I would first suggest that you contact an experienced family law attorney to assist you. I have seen it too many times where a litigant attempts to go it alone and receives an unsatisfactory outcome, only then to seek out the assistance of counsel. By that point, it is often too late for the attorney to have any realistic shot of reversing the Judge's decision. The moral of this is that it is often cheaper to hire an attorney to deal with it in the first place, then to hire one after the fact to try to undo what has already been done.

If hiring an attorney is not an option, there are services available at the courthouse and online to assist self-represented litigants fill out the necessary forms and serve and file them in accordance with the court rules. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.