San Francisco, CA asked in Business Law for Rhode Island

Q: Can someone in Rhode Island buy a bottle of distilled spirit or wine from a rectifier for OFF-PREMISE consumption?

2016 Rhode Island General Laws

Title 3 - Alcoholic Beverages

Chapter 3-6 - Manufacturing and Wholesale Licenses

Section 3-6-6 - Bottling and sale privileges of a rectifier's license.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Generally, no, as that would be construed as a retail sale, and this statute only provides for wholesale.


Alcoholic Beverages


Manufacturing and Wholesale Licenses


§ 3-6-6. Bottling and sale privileges of a rectifier's license.

A rectifier's license also authorizes the license holder to bottle distilled spirits and wines without rectifying or blending and authorizes the sale at wholesale at the licensed place by the rectifier of the distilled spirits and wines rectified, blended, warehoused or bottled at his or her licensed plant to another license holder and the transportation and the delivery from the place of sale to the licensed place or to a common carrier for that delivery. It shall not authorize the sale of beverages for consumption on the premises where sold, nor the sale of beverages within this state for delivery outside the state in violation of the law of the place of delivery.

History of Section.

(P.L. 1933, ch. 2013, § 5; P.L. 1937, ch. 2524, § 1; G.L. 1938, ch. 166, § 1; P.L. 1942, ch. 1212, art. 12, § 4; G.L. 1956, § 3-6-6.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.