Rhode Island Business Law Questions & Answers

Q: In order to file for tax exempt number and go forth 501c3 status do we have to be a corporation on State of RI level ?

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Business Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Jul 6, 2017

Yes. The State-registered non-profit corporation is essentially the "trunk" upon which you then add various "branches," including your Employer ID number, related 501(c)3 or other non-profit/exempt status, etc.
View Details »

Q: Penalties for running a tattoo parlor out of your house without license or permits, with a child in the household

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Business Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Jun 8, 2017

Is this in Massachusetts or Rhode Island? Is your relationship with your child's parent so strained that you are both looking for ways to cause each other difficulties?
View Details »

Q: i'm a v.p. share holder of a corp. my brother own's 60% i own 40% in our company. i want to retire my brother does not.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Feb 6, 2017

Time to negotiate a buyout.
View Details »

Q: I expressed an interest in buying a business but now I'm not sure -- I'm not legally bound to buy it, am I?

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Jan 22, 2017

If you signed a contract, you may well be contractually obligated.
View Details »

Q: Is network news liable to a viewer/investor/voter if they entered into any contracts based on inaccurate media coverage?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Communications Law, Contracts and Election Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Dec 20, 2016

No. Fraud requires an intention to defraud, knowingly false statements and a duty of care to the other party. Largely the same for securities law purposes. News media are supposed to be accurate but do not have a legal obligation to investors, voters or even viewers.

Q: What is the effect of votes of members at a meeting where a quorum is not present

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Jul 25, 2015

Check the applicable organizational documents. In some cases, it might make a difference if a quorum is present at first but not later in the meeting. Best to check with a local business lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without...

Q: What to do about a business partner in breach of contract

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on May 12, 2015

If you can't resolve the problems between you, it may be time to meet with an attorney and discuss your legal remedies.

Q: In Providence, Rhode Island. can a retail store sell my goods after 30 days without notice?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Apr 23, 2013

Are you referring to a consignment/retail store? Each store has its own policy on how long they will hang onto items for sale, did you ever sign any paperwork consenting to their sale of your goods? The short answer is maybe, you will want to look at any agreement or paperwork that you completed with them before you proceed with a small claims case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.