Asked in Criminal Law, Immigration Law and Traffic Tickets for Georgia

Q: Summoned to court and I am a non citizen, will proveing my character help with my case if ICE is contacted?

I come here to the US over 20 years ago. While here I work and I made a family. I have never commited any crimes I even paid taxes! I hate people similar to me are treated like criminals just because of who we are. I soley came here to work and not bother anyone. I help all people of nationalizes as I am a carpenter and a passionate caring worker. Recently, I was stopped by a police for no license, I take risk to work to provide for my family. I do not have a US license because I feel if my status of how long I been here will be reported. I'm also afraid to marry feeling like someone will report me then too..Now I get stopped by an officer for no license.

Should I just hire a Augusta ga immigrantion law Attorney? Should I hire an Attorney in ticket law and immigration? Should I hire an Attorney in criminal and immigration law? Which is best for me?

Thank you all who are willing to provide feedback to my concern.

1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Unfortunately, simply being a good person and paying your taxes is not enough to excuse you are in the country without permission.

It is possible that you could be detained by ICE at court, yes. It does happen.

The fact that you have been here for so long, and the fact that you have strong connections to the United States, including (it sounds like) US citizen children, you might be eligible for some immigration relief before an immigration judge. Talking with an immigration attorney would be a very good idea in your case.

Holly G Chapman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.