San Jose, CA asked in Child Custody for California

Q: My sis wants custody/at least to be able to visit our younger half sister. Her dad won’t let us for personal reasons

Our little sister is only turning 15, so I assume it will be difficult. I also know parents get full custody. However according to my little sister, her dad is very controlling and doesn’t let her do anything she will enjoy, such as visit friends or even me and my sister. He even says if he buys her stuff she can’t talk to her old friends. My mom (currently overseas for medical purposes) gave her money once and he used it for bills and rent. He even made my little sis ask my mom and older sis for money. He’s moving city to city because he can’t find a permanent job. My little sis said he seems to always be paranoid, gives the silent treatment for 3 weeks straight for even socializing with us. There are a lot more details and I can ask for more but is there way where we can get custody of our sister, perhaps when she’s 16? My older sister is married and they are way more financially stable than the father. He is doing this out of spite because of an incident with me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As her sister and non parent, you do not have legal standing to seek custody. The option of legal guardianship may be available, but based on the information you have provided, it's unlikely that request will be granted either

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.