Defuniak Springs, FL asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: Want my daughter back, my father has sole custody. Hearing was done in Ala, while I was in hospital.

2 years ago I was in a hospital in Dothan. For my daughters benefit I turned custody over to my father as I was not sure how my health issues would affect me in the future. I was not a good person then. I signed papers provided under duress from my father, so he could have sole custody of my daughter. Over the last year or so I have done all I can to do what I can for my daughter. My father did not work for a year, so my daughter needed me to help her as he was unable to support her or himself. He sold his house and blew the money within a week after I moved back in to be closer to my daughter. For my own safety I had to leave and I lay awake at night hoping my daughter does not catch his rage or anger. I left so I could fight for her, to be in a safe environment away from this monster. Now he is running away from this region he has lived in for 28 years, the school she has been at for 2 years, to a place where all she knows is my mother. To keep my baby and me apart.

1 Lawyer Answer
Denise Martinez-Scanziani
Denise Martinez-Scanziani
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You've posted this question for a Florida lawyer, but it seems that you should ask a lawyer licensed to practice in AL. If that is where the child is, that is the state who will have jurisdiction over your daughter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.