San Anselmo, CA asked in Personal Injury for California

Q: Can a store manager be personally sued do to a slip and fall accident in the store he manages?

Related Topics:
5 Lawyer Answers

William John Light

  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Possibly, but why? The store is liable for the negligence of its employees. Sue the store. Its insurance will respond and pay any damages for which the store is liable.

Timur Akpinar agrees with this answer

Theodore Allan Greene

  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I suppose there could be some far out fact pattern that could implicate an individual working for a company but in most instances the employer (store here) is responsible for the acts of their employees.

Timur Akpinar agrees with this answer

Dale S. Gribow

  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: More info is needed to properly evaluate your case.

But why sue the mgr when the store is responsible and their insurance co should defend them and hopefully if you have a valid claim, pay you.

However, it is always a good idea to contact a local attorney that handles these cases in the courthouse to which you are ordered to appear.

In other words, I am in Palm Springs and you don’t want to hire a Palm Springs lawyer for an Orange Co case.

Most criminal and accident lawyers will offer a free consultation to review the facts.

Call a local attorney to discuss this matter in more detail and request an appointment.

Don't discuss your matter on a platform like this as what you say can be used against you.

If you need help finding a good lawyer, please contact me at 760 8377500 or for names of lawyers in your area.

Good Luck

Timur Akpinar agrees with this answer

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

  • Berkeley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Normally, you do not get to sue the store manager personally. You sue the LLC, the Corporation or the entity. However, if the manager in some way caused the harm and got himself personally involved in causing the injury, then you may consider filing a lawsuit for assault, battery and or negligence against the manager and also the legal entity. Best of luck.

Timur Akpinar agrees with this answer

Timur Akpinar


A: Unless there was something egregious in the conduct of the manager, the typical protocol is to bring the claim against the store/corporation.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.