Glendale, AZ asked in Elder Law for Arizona

Q: Under a Durable Health Care POA, can an alternate representative temporarily take over for a primary representative?

In my sister's Durable Health Care Power of Attorney, she appointed her son as her representative to make health care decisions in the event of her incapacity, and she appointed me as her alternate representative if her son is unavailable, unwilling or unable to make decisions for her. My sister is incapacitated due to brain damage from a stroke, and her son sometimes neglects or refuses to make essential health care decisions for her, such as scheduling appointments for doctor visits and medical testing ordered by her doctors. I want to know if I have the legal right, as alternate health care representative, to take over her son's health care POA duties when he neglects or refuses to perform them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan K Hodges
Ryan K Hodges
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Mesa, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You will need to review the power of attorney document itself. POAs can specify what it means for the agent to be unable or unwilling to act on behalf of the principal. If the POA does not have such language, it is best to get the other agent to resign. The resignation can be temporary or permanent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.