Grand Rapids, MI asked in Immigration Law for Michigan

Q: Am I eligible for a green card and would it take long?

I want to get a green card, I was born in Mexico and brought over to the US when I was 5 years old by my parents. My parents and I got travel visas and overstayed them. I just turned 20 years old and I didn't apply for DACA. I graduated from Highschool. Now I'm in a relationship with a US citizen and we want to get married.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kelli Y Allen

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: I would need more specific facts to fully analyze your case. If you do marry a US citizen, there is likely a path for you to gain permanent residency but the process depends on several factors. I recommend a full consultation with an immigration attorney.

Kevin L Dixler

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: More information is needed. Particularly, the type of visa used for admission and whether something happened that disqualifies you. These issues include reasons other than crime.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications or unexpected delays. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.