Broadview Heights, OH asked in Family Law for Ohio

Q: Can a mother withdraw a minor from school and not re-enroll the child in another school?

My wife and I have been taking care of a 16 year old whose mother withdrew her from school and kicked her out. The mother has not been helpful with trying to sign her up for online schooling and we cannot enroll her in our district. My wife and I would like to petition for guardianship or for emancipation. Would the mother have to sign any paperwork or appear in court? We are in Cuyahoga County, Ohio.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Joseph Jaap

  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The mother would have the opportunity to appear at the guardianship hearing, and the court could subpoena her to appear. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney who handles guardianships to review the facts and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.