Tampa, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I'm a Daca recipient, can I travel abroad for studies?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should consult with a competent immigration attorney who can can analyze the particular facts of your situation. Generally speaking, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services is no longer granting "advance parole" travel documents to DACA beneficiaries such that they could reenter the United States to resume their DACA "status." Depending on the age at which you were granted DACA and your prior entry/exit history to/from the United States, you may not necessarily trigger a "bar" to reentry under certain sections of the Immigration & Nationality Act (INA), but it could be very difficult to persuade a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad to issue a visa (e.g., student visa, visitor visa, etc.) that would enable to you reenter the United States. In such a scenario, you could become "stuck" outside of the United States. Again, for an accurate response that is specific to your facts, you should speak with an experienced immigration attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.