Grosse Pointe, MI asked in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for Florida

Q: Is only tylenol for a planned c section humane? The doctor knew i was on subutex and didnt plan to wean me surgury.

I feel as he didnt plan this at all causing much damage emotionaly and physically during surgury and after plus nerve damage still. I take subutex which is buprenorphine a blocker for opiates. Which can cause difficulty treating my pain. He planned the c sec. For less than 24 hrs after seeing baby was breach still. I felt so much pain during surgury even with the spinal block. After surgury was worse because i wasnt given meds for 10 hours. I only got tylenol, toradal and my buprenorphine for pain. Bup is not for pain it isnt fda approved for pain either. They told me they used morphine in my spinal but that would have gotton blocked by the bup. For a specialist doctor in

this area he was extremely negligent for underestimating what kind of pain id be in for and had no real plan as he rushed for a non emergency surgury. The anesthesiologist told me id get the good stuff and be in no pain. Im traumatized from this experience and about to have another baby fearing this same situation.

2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your question at the top is a medical question, not a legal one - but I'm guessing that you are wondering if you can sue the medical provider for medical malpractice. That starts with asking a doctor with the exact same specialty whether he/she believes the doctor who treated you did not meet the professional standard of care for handling the c-section procedure. Another issue is whether the extent of injury to you (temporary pain that shouldn't have existed) would make a potential malpractice case worthwhile. Usually, the case will not be worthwhile for an attorney to take unless there is some permanent or very long-lasting damage. In any event, call law offices that handle medical malpractice cases to see if there would be any interest in your potential claim.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Based on your description, you experienced trauma and pain. But as pointed out, a law firm that contemplates this matter as a case would likely have to consider the permanence of damages. Since med mal firms generally work on a contingency basis and often provide free initial consultations, you could contact firms and discuss the matter further. That would help in enabling you to decide how to proceed.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.