Asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: Why do you I have to pay so much Childsuport if my daughter does not live with her mother and has a baby

And lives with the man his 27 and she 16years old and they live by them Self and the mother is receiving the money

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte

  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. The question should be "Why is a 16 year old minor living with a male of 27 years of age when this constitutes sexual abuse of a minor, child abuse and possible statutory rape if sexual relations were done prior to her 16th birthday."

The child support payment is for the child and not the mother thus you will need to open an account in your daughter's name, deposit the child support in said account and file a motion with the Court informing them of this change of residence and payment. This will avoid the mother from getting the money as well as protect you from defaulting on your legal obligation to comply with the Court order to pay child support.

The only way to eliminate said obligation to pay child support is by getting the Court to eliminate said obligation. This can be done by you requesting custody of your daughter since the mother has allowed your daughter to live with an adult in violatión of child safety laws. Another possibility is for your daughter to get married with her parent's consent and then request the Court to eliminate the child support obligation.

Your obligation to pay child support continues until your daughter turns 21 and a Court eliminates said obligation. It's not automátically eliminated. The Court must order the elimination or your obligation to pay child support continues. Please contract legal services for this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.