Stillwater, OK asked in Immigration Law for Oklahoma

Q: If I am a green card holder and I get married to a US citizen will I be able to fill the N-400 earlier

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Deron Edward Smallcomb
Deron Edward Smallcomb
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA

A: If your green card was obtained as a result of being married to the same US Citizen, then you would likely be eligible. You should contact an experienced immigration attorney to determine your options.

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bartlesville, OK

A: Normally, you must be a lawful permanent resident for at least five years, and meet certain other conditions, before you can fill out the N-400.

However, you may be able to fill out the N-400, and apply for and apply for naturalization as a U.S. citizen, earlier, if you are married to a U.S. citizen.

If you are married to a U.S. citizen, you may fill out the N-400, and apply for naturalization as a U.S. citizen if:

1. You have been a lawful permanent resident for at least three years;

2. You are married to, and living with, a U.S. citizen;

3. You have been married to that U.S. citizen for at least the past three years;

4. Your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least the past three years; and

5. During the past three years, you have not been out of the country for 18 months or more.

To see if you are eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship, click here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.