Pigeon, MI asked in Family Law and Probate for Michigan

Q: My sister and I are co-executors on my fathers will. Can she settle the estate without my knowledge

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Trent Harris

  • Probate Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It would depend on (1) whether she has been appointed as the personal representative of the estate, and (2) how the personal representative's name was worded on the letters of authority that were issued.

If the letters said that you OR your sister were appointed as personal representative, then she might be able to act unilaterally without you. But if the letters say that is you AND your sister are appointed PR, then presumably you both would need to act together, she could not take action without you.

As always, you get what you pay for. Be sure to talk to a qualified attorney about your specific situation before choosing to rely on any information you get from internet discussion boards, such as this one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.