Orlando, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Can I marry my foreign fiancé in Canada )I’m American he’s not ) then apply for adjustment of status when in USA?

From what I understand marrying a foreign national under visa waiver program and then adjusting status ALL in the USA is considered visa fraud and could complicate matters . If we went to Canada to get married then returned to the US and adjusted status would this be acceptable ? Marriage would not be performed in the US and no marriage took place while he was on visa waiver

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Kevin L Dixler

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: Your fiancé seems in the awkward and unenviable position of being caught in a Catch 22. He may have to consular process.

I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications. Good luck!

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Kevin D. Slattery Esq.

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A consultation with a competent immigration attorney is advisable. An experienced immigration attorney can explain the various paths to permanent residency for your spouse that comport with the law, including immigrant visa consular processing or fiance(e) visa processing. Again, considering scheduling an appointment with a lawyer. Congratulations on your impending nuptials!

Stephen Arnold Black

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should follow the strict letter of the law so no snafus or delays or denials result in your application processing. Discuss with counsel here in Florida about the best path to a positive result.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.