Arlington, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Would it affect someone to live in Mexico more than 6 months if resident only?

Hi I have a case I have question about my moms father he is 76 years old retired is receiving pension and also social security check he was living with his sisters in California. he is trying to become a citizen and were wondering how long would it be for him or if it’s possible for him to become a citizen since he has illness memory problem and he can’t see with one eye due to that he is need of care at all times.If he tries to leave to Mexico and he stays more than 6 months since he is a resident would it affect him?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kelli Y Allen

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: If your father is a permanent resident he should try not to stay out of the U.S. for 6 months at one time. If it does, it will delay his eligibility for naturalization. There are accommodations that can be made for the naturalization process based on age and length of time he has been a permanent residence. Consult an immigration attorney for a full analysis of his case.

Kevin L Dixler

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: I agree, but proving that he has a physical impairment that requires that he be opted out of the exam may prove very costly in addition to the legal help that he requires.

Sometimes, difficult decisions need to be made. For that reason, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney who can spend enough time to answer all of your questions beforehand. This appointment has value. An appropriate decision should be made for your family. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.