Bluffton, SC asked in Child Support for Alabama

Q: Can the mother stop the child support at anytime ?will the father still be liable for arrears and interest?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Shane Michael Oncale

  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Only a court with proper jurisdiction can make any change to child support. No court has the ability even if good cause is shown to forgive child support once the time for its payment has passed. If the payor of child support is in an accident and slips into a coma for a year child support will continue to accrue during that year and if when he is out of the hospital he files a petition with the court to forgive that child support the court will have no authority to do so. You must return to court if you want child support to stop running on you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.