Richmond, VA asked in Immigration Law for District of Columbia

Q: Change of status waiting response from uscis

My mom entered the U.S on a B2 visa almost 6 months ago, her allowed time to stay is 6 months which are going to be completed in 4 days. She is from Venezuela and she is a cancer patient. during her time here she started to feel ill and she was rushed to the hospital. I don't want her to go back right now on her current state and the state of the country so in January 2019 we filed an extension of status. February we received a letter saying that the extension was filed but we haven't received a response yet and I don't want my mother to overstay her visa. Can she legally stay here until we receive a response from USCIS?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: This is unfortunate. Some questions require more than a simple answer. It is best to discuss this matter with an attorney, who can counsel you on immigration law.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced a Immigration and visa attorney.

There are consequences to each of her actions. It is unclear which option is best without further information and a personal decision. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.