Tempe, AZ asked in Criminal Law and Immigration Law for Arizona

Q: I'm a green card holder since 2000 and I submitted my application for Naturalization. Need advise.

I'm currently in the middle of the process for Naturalization with my biometrics scheduled in a few weeks. I'm worried that my conviction in 2013 will cause a problem with my application. I was arrested and jailed for less than 24 hours for possession of paraphernalia. The judge reduced my sentence as it was my first offense and the sentence was also set aside/expunged a few months ago.

I'm a home owner, work a full time corporate job and married my girlfriend of 7 years who is a U.S citizen last May. Is there anything that I need to be worried about as far as deportation goes?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelli Y. Allen
Kelli Y. Allen
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: You need to have an immigration attorney review a copy of the judgment to determine what risks you may incur in applying for naturalization. There is a fairly high chance that the conviction may make you removable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.