Jacksonville, FL asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander, Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can you have your childs other parent take a drug test to prove he/she is not on drugs? For sole parental responsibility

I believe my sons father is on drugs and wanted to know if/how to get proof of it. I want to have sole parental responsibility when we have split right now.

1 Lawyer Answer
Denise Martinez-Scanziani
Denise Martinez-Scanziani
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have to make this request in writing to the judge. Depending on the basis for your request, the court may order a drug test which can be done by either a urine sample or a hair follicle drug test. the hair follicle drug test will detect drug use for a much longer period of time than the urine test.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.