Fort Washington, MD asked in Bankruptcy for Maryland

Q: If I get a pro bono attorney that can take my case of credit cards for no charge, can they stop the creditors quick?

As I said before I received a summons on Tuesday and have till June for court, can pro bono stop the other creditors or contact them that I'm filing bankruptcy because I have no funds to pay them. What really saying can they stop them right away or its gonna take months before they contact the creditors? I'm a senior and living off my fixed income I wish I could pay my cards off, was paying on time until last year in February I had water issues, water tank and well pump problems. That's what starting taking my extra money that was paying the cards, wasn't much but all I could pay. All I need is a break to breath I'm so stressed out please find an answer for me.

Thank You.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Timothy Denison

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: The creditors harassment will stop immediately upon filing the petition, regardless of who filed it for you.

Cristina M. Lipan

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Brooklyn, NY

A: Social security income is exempt from creditors, you just have to make sure to keep that money in a separate accounts from other types of income, if any. Technically, they cannot take that income to pay creditors, although sometimes they do in error and you would need to fight to get the money back. They can access other assets if you have any. Appearing in that state court action will only delay it, but won't really resolve anything. Creditors may get a judgment, although there may be nothing to collect. To rid yourself of the stress, you probably want to consider filing bankruptcy, it's the easiest solution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.