Miami, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: If a child was born Canada can he apply for us social security card

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The answer to your question depends on a number of facts that are not provided in your question. If you mean the child born in Canada somehow has a claim to U.S. Citizenship because, for example, he or she has U.S. Citizen parents, then the answer is yes. There are even circumstances where a child born abroad to a U.S. Legal Permanent Resident mother who returns to the U.S. with the mother during the mother's first trip back to the United States after giving birth; that child is entitled to U.S. Legal Permanent Resident status, which would make the child eligible for a U.S. social security number. For an accurate answer to your question, additional information is needed. Consider scheduling a consultation with a competent immigration attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.