Miami, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: I wanted to know my son was charged with 3counts of aggravated battery with a firearm once he sat in county jail for 3yr

Never went inside the court room until he took the plea offered was 15yrs 10 mandatory 5probation. After the credit time it left him with 12yrs. Now i need to know can his charges be changed to att 2nd degree murder when it was never mentioned for 3yrs. Also with that time what will be his release date.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roger P. Foley
Roger P. Foley pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Something happened during the course of three years. Somebody went to court. His presence may have been waived. It is a serious charge. He should have received a copy of his discovery, discussed issues with his attorney about the case, been shown a score sheet and asked whether he accepted the offer or not. If you look at the docket online you will be able to see what occurred. Court dates range from 30- 90 days between court appearances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.