Asked in Real Estate Law for Washington

Q: I am a tenant in common with my sister and I want to sell my interest in the land can I do that

We inherited the land for my father when he passed away live in Omak Washington and I just want to sell my part I don’t want to be involved with her at all anymore so can I just show my interest in the land

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo
  • Staten Island, NY

A: If you and your sister own real estate that you inherited from your father, and you own it together, presumably, as tenants in common, then you each own a percentage of the whole and not any particular allocable portion of the real estate. If you want to sell, and she is not cooperative, then your only option is to bring an action in petition to force the sale of the real estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.