New York, NY asked in Animal / Dog Law for Florida

Q: 2 labs playing off leash on private property in Pasco County. Neighbor complains, seeks Animal Control fine. Thoughts?

Our two labs typically play off the leash on deed-restricted private property in Pasco County, Florida. Neighbor has complained previously several times of the dog's "smell." Now neighbor complains to Pasco County Animal Control that the dogs are a nuisance, while playing off the leash on private property. Animal Control issues warning notice that the dogs are not "under control" at all times. What legal recourse do we have against the vindictive neighbor? Can Animal Control lawfully issue a fine to dog / property owners in a deed-restricted (and gated) community when allowing their dogs to play on private property? The dogs are small 1 and 2 year old animals with a reputation for playfulness and love.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the local ordinance requires dogs to be "under control". normally voice command isn't sufficient.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.