Bethesda, MD asked in Consumer Law and Family Law for Maryland

Q: Can they garnish me and my husband's bank account in MD for a debt against my husband alone 8 years before we married

This is my account, and I want to add my husband, but do not want his past creditors to garnish the account.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Yes, they may be able to do that if his name is added. If your bank offers the ability to title the account as “tenants by the entireties” then that would prevent attachment. In Maryland ordinarily only titles to real property are held that way, unlike DC where all property jointly held by spouses is deemed “tenants by the entirety” unless specified differently.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.