Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maryland Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: The warehouse manager tried to push a 150 pound table off the loading bay. on my wife and threw the?receipt in her face.

What are my options

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Nov 24, 2020

"Tried to ...." Unless your wife suffered physical injuries, then she has no claim.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Consumer Law and Collections for Maryland on
Q: How can I get a lien removed against my home?

In 2008 my home had a lien put against it due to a credit card debt with Citibank. In 2017, I tried to show a bank that I paid off the debt but Citibank has no record of the account. I was still able to get a loan despite the lien but in the future this will still be a problem especially if I... Read more »

Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander answered on Nov 12, 2020

In that case, you will likely want to retain an attorney to reach out to the firm on your behalf to see what can be done.



1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Maryland on
Q: I paid for a horse out of state and then the sale got canceled, the seller has not refunded my money

I was a buyers agent for a gentleman in Texas, I found him a horse in Tennessee to purchase.

The buyer paid me and I paid the seller for the horse, shipping was arranged.

My buyer found out some personal news and had to cancel the sale. I have refunded the buyer his money already,... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Nov 11, 2020

You're going to need a lawyer in Tennessee, where the seller and horse are located. You, or your principal, may be bound to the purchase of the horse. Why as the agent you took it upon yourself to reimburse out of your own pocket the buyer's money, after the seller had received the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims, Tax Law and Banking for Maryland on
Q: Can I take legal actions towards my financial advisor for being dishonest?

So in January my mom got a letter from her financial advisor which was from the IRS telling her that she had to fill out a W-9 because the social security she had in her account was wrong. My mom immediately took action and we went to our financial advisor office to correct the social security... Read more »

Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste
Marie-Yves Nadine Jean-Baptiste answered on Sep 19, 2020

Contact the IRS to verify.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: I was refused an Estimate at a Car repair shop for no reason in Hartford County what are my Rights?

I feel discriminated against

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 20, 2020

A Maryland attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Given the effort and legal fees that could be involved in demonstrating discrimination, it could be more practical and economical to seek the services of a different shop. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: If a loan company used my 2013 Toyota as collateral and take it, would I be able to get another car at lower payments??

My loan balance is around $11500 and my car according to Kelley' blue book valued at $8900 at the most

Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann answered on Aug 19, 2020

A repossession does not wipe out debt, and would surely make it more difficult to qualify for a new car loan. The lender will credit for whatever a repossessed car sold for, but the borrower is still on the hook to pay off the balance of the loan. Although it is hard to imagine a scenario... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: I returned the wrong item to an online seller, and they're threatening to call the authorities, what can they really do?

I bought two of the same item from two different online sellers, and accidentally returned one to the wrong seller. They claimed it a "counterfeit" product and want to contact that authorities, but I told them it was a mistake and that I would pay to reship it back to me so I can return... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jul 30, 2020

Probably not much. You did not commit a crime. Send them the correct item for a refund and request the return of the other item. Unless you intentionally and knowingly tried to send them a counterfeit item in order to defraud them out of the price of a real such product. In that case, stop posting... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Animal / Dog Law for Maryland on
Q: My neighbor has one female German Shepherd. They consistently breed her sell the puppies and then breed her again.
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Jul 10, 2020

If you think it is animal cruelty, you can call animal control in your area. Or, most jurisdictions require a breeder permit or license to operate legally. You can also call animal control for that information to report this person, if you suspect the breeding in illegal. Otherwise, animals are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: Does Maryland U.C.C. apply to used vehicles? Can a used vehicle be returned within a few days of purchase?
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 30, 2020

Two different questions. The UCC generally applies to the sale of goods, so in that respect, it applies to the sale of a vehicle, but only if the transaction involves at least one party that is a "merchant" as defined under the Code--which means, a person or entity in the business of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Maryland on
Q: Bought a used car and was given an I owe you for repairs. Haven't made any progress a month later. Deferred down payment

I was not informed about having to pay a "deferred down payment" the same day as my first monthly installment payment. Is there anything I can do?

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jun 20, 2020

Naturally you would get all parts of an agreement regarding this major purchase in writing, so you just need to refer to your written agreement to see what your rights and obligations are. If you did not get a written agreement, I guess the next question is: "Who is the registered owner of... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Animal / Dog Law for Maryland on
Q: How should I go about getting my deposit back from a a breeder who refused for follow through with obligations

A breeder required 300$ down payment to guarantee a puppy. He promised to send pictures of the female bluenose pitbull puppy, a copy of lineage and shot paperwork, and receipt for payment. After days of me attempting to contact him he refused to respond or and phone calls and texts. He than texts... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jun 18, 2020

No police, he has committed no crime, they will do nothing for you. No basis to sue, he has not breached the agreement yet to provide you with a pitbull puppy. Unless you have a contract that states when he was supposed to provide you with pictures and paperwork, then the issue of whether he has... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: Debt collector contact me for an old debt claiming that he is the owner of the debt and can't sue due the time that pass

I received a letter from a collection agency claiming that they are the owner of an old debt and due to the time that passed they can't sue for the balance of $18K but would like to settle for $3.8K.

What should I do?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on May 25, 2020

Talk to a lawyer. If the time for filing (statute of limitations) has passed, they can’t collect from you at all. Don’t do anything until you talk to a lawyer.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: I am looking for the specific law or code regarding authorized credit card use

Specifically the code referencing that "it is illegal for an authorized credit card user to continue to use the card after the primary card holder dies".

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on May 20, 2020

Various criminal code provisions may or may not apply to your facts. I've answered this question previously with reference to the card holder agreement and the effect of the death of the primary account holder on the legality of an authorized user to continue to use the card.... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Contracts for Maryland on
Q: Is bankruptcy a defense to a breach of contract claim under Maryland law?

Even if they have a clause in the contract that says otherwise?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on May 11, 2020

Yes. Under federal law as well.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: What rights do I have in Maryland when it comes to making payments on a crappy car that I didnt know was salvage?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 1, 2020

It could depend on the terms of your agreement. A Maryland attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. You could contact attorneys and see if you could arrange a brief consult to review your purchase agreement. One of the first questions you may be asked is whether... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for Maryland on
Q: Is this considered abandonment?

Im a truck driver and in a secured lot I took my dog and tied him to the fence in a grassy area behind my tractor n trailer while I went and took a shower. I came out and a security guard had him in his car and off my leash. I went off and police was called. Police said it's considered... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 24, 2020

The attorneys in the Animal/Dog law section would be most likely to be familiar with this issue. You could repost there.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Maryland on
Q: Looking for a MD attorney specializing in 14-12B and my rights as an health club center against the buyer. Thank you.

I’m looking for a MD attorney who specializes in small business health club services and non/compliance to Maryland Code Commercial Law Title 14 - Miscellaneous Consumer Protection Provisions Subtitle 12B - Health Club Services.

Joseph D. Allen
Joseph D. Allen answered on Feb 18, 2020

You might be searching in vain for an attorney who specializes in that narrow of a field. However, it seems like the type of question that could be answered by any attorney capable of interpreting the statute sections and any applicable regulations and applying them to your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Maryland on
Q: I bought a vehicle from someone who rolled back an odometer. Can I sue them for the full price + repairs for vehicle?

I bought a vehicle from someone in Laurel Maryland (private party) and i have proof from Pennsylvania State Police that the individual rolled back the odometer almost 70,000 miles. After fussing with them back and fourth, they said they will take the car back for ONLY the price I paid them for it,... Read more »

Eric Todd Kirk
Eric Todd Kirk answered on Feb 18, 2020

That may or may not constitute a crime. You certainly could report it to the applicable state's attorney's office. Your best bet is likely to consult with the Attorney General or an attorney in private civil practice.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and Public Benefits for Maryland on
Q: My father recently passed and had a TIC Property with my stepmother. Who is responsible for mortgage

Property owned TIC by father and stepmother. Father dies. House sells for 600k with 200k Mortgage. Is mortgage responsibility of Entire estate, or is wife solely responsible?

I.e. should we pay mortgage from the 600k and then divide the remainder to my stepmother and my fathers heirs. Or... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Dec 7, 2019

The mortgage is a lien against the property. It cannot be sold without the mortgage being paid off first out of the sale proceeds. That happens at settlement. Then the net proceeds are split evenly between the two owners of the property: 50% to the estate, 50% to your stepmother

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Personal Injury for Maryland on
Q: Can I sue use waterproofing company for disrupting asbestos tile in my basement and not telling us it was asbestos?

The company drilled tile that is probably asbestos. 2 contractors that came to basement for other matters mentioned the flooring was asbestos. We had no idea and a whole year has almost passed since we the work was done.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Nov 29, 2019

So, first pay an asbestos remediation expert/contractor to provide a definitive confirmation whether you have asbestos tiles or not, and what, if any danger and cost of remediation will be. Get all that in writing. If the same expert/contractor is willing to state that the other contractor was... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.