Lakewood, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Land Use & Zoning, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for California

Q: Can I sue my landlord for breach of contract emotion distress among other things as well. My landlord will not honor

Our agreement on my having my bf sleepover on occasion.we agreed that he'd pay $20 per night it was never discussed any limit or that special rules . I even asked so we could be clear on all the rules my landlord refused to discuss it and reason now banned him from.evrn coming into the house this breaks my heart and is so unfair I think my landlord just want to punish me . Can he do that ....grant a privilege the just jerk it away in such so cruel is there anything I can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Manuel Alzamora Juarez
Manuel Alzamora Juarez
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Berkeley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your landlord is a jerk and may be acting illegally. You have a right to have visitors in your apartment. If you rent a room in his house, that may be different. If he interferes with your BF visiting you, notify him that he is not staying overnight. See what he says about that, If he says he cannot come even for a visit, then he may be in violation of your Covenant of Quiet Enjoyment and you could sue him. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.