Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Land Use & Zoning Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Land Use & Zoning for California on
Q: Can I enter a park against mandatory county time rules if they don’t specify time zone on the official page.

Sacramento/ranch county parks website states that no one can access/trespass on park property past 10pm to 6am. That’s quoted on their official page. Nowhere in that sentence or anywhere else do they state a time zone. Somewhat of a ridiculous unimportant question, unless you’re a libertarian.... Read more »

David Michael Lehr
David Michael Lehr answered on Feb 9, 2021

Yes you can be fined. The time zone is obviously the time zone where the park is located.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: We bought a condo but the downstairs neighbors blast their bass. The seller never disclosed this. What can we do?

We just bought a condo and prior to placing an offer, we asked the seller's agent who were the neighbors downstairs and if it was quiet. He said yes it's quiet and didn't know who was downstairs. Turns out the neighbors are musicians and have a studio set up where they record... Read more »

John T. Kontrabecki
John T. Kontrabecki answered on Dec 12, 2020

File a complaint with you Home Owners Association and demand that the Association stop it. Make it the Association’s problem to solve.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: Can someone who owns a Big property, with many code violations , reel many volunteers on a lie and make them fix it?

This lady owns about 45 acres and rents the houses on it to about 3 tenants. She also rents its it out to campers on the weekends. But the property has many housing code violations. She uses volunteer websites and sells this place as a “free meditation experience, with monks who can teach you... Read more »

Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich answered on Dec 1, 2020

Volunteers by definition are people who do something without the expectation of payment or receiving something in return. It is the choice of the volunteer to volunteer or not. A volunteer can always leave and hence has no real damages. Lying in and of itself is not generally a violation of law... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: My mother-in-law owns land with her house on it. One daughter has a mobile home on her property that's not livable and

It has been on my mother-in-law's land for over 20 years. My mother-in-law's other daughter has two vehicles that is rusted and doesn't work; been on her property for over 14 years. My mother-in-law has expressed that she doesn't want the mobile home or vehicles on her property... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Oct 28, 2020

Contact the local PD to report these vehicles as abandoned property and ask for advice about disposal and notification to owners of the property. I think you usually have to give 30-90 days notice then you can call a company to come out and remove them as salvage. There may be a company that will... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Formation, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: I am looking to purchase a small business auto repair shop, primarily to get the lease for the location. Is it possible

Ideally I do not want to purchase the business name etc I will change it to a smog check station. Also if you can go over the lease it would be great.

Shawn R. Jackson Esq.
Shawn R. Jackson Esq. answered on Oct 25, 2020

Yes, what you are requesting is possible ... and, as you might imagine, there are a number of other issues to consider. I would recommend that you schedule a few initial free consultations, by video call or telephone call, with two or three different attorneys ... Shawn Jackson - Business... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for California on
Q: What is stopping me from sharing about a private nuisance issue on social media.

Neighbors are illegally dismantling autos and trucks day and night. And we are trapped with loud drive by's of people helping to hide dismantling sound. Would I get in trouble if I share these facts on social media???

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Oct 24, 2020

Wow, Shingle Springs and San Raphael are having major outbreaks of bootleg auto dismantlers operating under zoning variances in residential neighborhoods. You need to hire a Land Use attorney to look into getting you an injunction against this, because this is the 4th post on this subject. As for... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for California on
Q: Is a legal nonconforming auto service station required to comply with business regulations such as hours, tow yard ?

the neighborhood that I live in has been having ongoing issues with an auto service station. Neighbors have contacted the Code Enforcement unit because of various activities that we believe should not be allowed at that property, including:

painting vehicles outdoors and releasing chemical... Read more »

Gerald Barry Dorfman
Gerald Barry Dorfman answered on Oct 22, 2020

Even though it may not be a code enforcement issue, it may still constitute a "nuisance". Private parties, with very limited exceptions, can not bring a legal action for a "public" nuisance, but they may bring an action for a private nuisance. If you can't get the City... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for California on
Q: landlord want to evict me and my kids in 5 days I cant find anything in 5 days what can I do she gave us court papers
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Oct 20, 2020

You need to go to a Tenant's rights attorney immediately. I don't know what "court papers" means. Usually it takes longer to get a trial and then a judgment, so I don't know how much time you really have. Do not wait on this and don't rely on this forum to give you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: My mother has land that she is trying to get placed into her name. The property is in my deceased grandmothers name

The land was left to my mom and her other two siblings. The two other siblings are deceased now and my mom wants to put the land in her name now to write her will. what documents and paperwork does she need to get this process going? Also she has more land that she has that is in my brother's... Read more »

Jonathan Purcell
Jonathan Purcell answered on Sep 15, 2020

To begin with you will need to gather together the testamentary documents (wills, trusts, and property deeds), pertaining to your deceased Grandmother and Uncle, and hire an attorney to review the documents, organize the information, and write a report on the current ownership of the properties,... Read more »

Q: Hello, I have large company interested in a five year option to either purchase or ground lease a property I co-own.

The terms to lease the property are really appealing but the company plans to use the lease to secure funding for a green energy project. If I were to lease the property, as a land owner Is there anyway to protect the property from foreclosure in the event company goes bankrupt and creditors go... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 5, 2020

You need the advice of a Real Estate Transaction attorney in your local area to assist you to draft a lease that has forfeiture provisions in the event the lessee goes bankrupt. The creditors cannot go after the property, as you do not transfer title to the property to the lessee, except for the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: I had 3 tenants one moved out are the other 2 tenants that share room lodgers now?

This is in san bernardino california also they are keeping chickens and ducks in my front yard and dug a pond without permission

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Aug 1, 2020

Well, is a pond with chickens and ducks in the front yard common in San Bernardino where your property is? What does the lease say about animals? You have a written lease, correct? If you want them out you can give them a 3 day notice to correct or quit- that is fill in the pond and get rid of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Land Use & Zoning for California on
Q: Ticketd 22101 6 cvc but have a pic4evidence that the posted sign was not visible due to road construction sigh infront

infraction for 22101 6 cvc disobeying posted sign no lft turn 7 a.m. -9 p.m. & 4 p.m.-9 p.m. but I mad a left turn w signal @3:52 p.m .seen cop from smll intersection in a business/residence Street I turned onto after he waves me down to go to the side right behind the car he was ticketing ,... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 22, 2020

Take photos of sign condition before it changes. Plead not guilty, go to trial, present paper copies of the photos showing the sign was blocked. You may have a chance.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Insurance Bad Faith, Intellectual Property and Land Use & Zoning for California on
Q: Question, if this property belongs to the Indian reservation and the individual took it out unauthorized with a deed,

It would be considered fraud or no?

John B. Hudak
John B. Hudak answered on Jul 1, 2020

Consider contacting a local pro bono attorney group related to the issue. The specific facts would need to be reviewed to understand what happened and any possible wrongdoing.

This answer includes generalizations and there are many caveats. This answer does not form an attorney client...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: Q: Can I be Fined by HOA Board in 2019 for Not Obtaining a Bldg. Permit to build a Room Addition approved by HOA in 2013

I added a Utility Room to my Mobile Home completely Un-Attached and Free Standing. I received HOA Board Approval and was NEVER Told in 2013 I also needed a State Building Permit.

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jun 27, 2020

It is possible that the construction without obtaining all necessary permits could violate a HOA rule or regulation and could result in their imposition of a fine. You should consult with the City building department regarding issuance of a permit or whatever they would want after the fact. This... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Constitutional Law, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: recently sited for a few things on a property my problem because opandemic I wasn't Able to take care of it what can I
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jun 11, 2020

If you have a citation that requires a court appearance, you need to contact the court about your situation either in person or in writing, include a copy of the citation. Failing to respond could subject you to additional penalties and be considered an FTA- failure to appear. If the citation is... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Land Use & Zoning, Personal Injury and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: Who is liable for a brick wall between city and personal property.

I have kids jumping a brick wall all the time and falling on my yard. The wall runs across my property line from front yard to back yard. The other side is a tree shrub area, sidewalk and street. I want to know if I hold any liability if one of these kids get hurt? Also can I put signs up that face... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on May 30, 2020




1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Land Use & Zoning and Small Claims for California on
Q: Am i responsible if my neghbor put a plastic runner on my chainlink fence on their side but my dogs chewed it up?

The fence runs the perimeter of my property and the side that faces the neighbor sometimes gets grass onto her side and she doesnt like grass getting in because she keeps her yard down to the dirt. So she put a plastic runner but i have dogs and they are known to chew so i want to know if im going... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on Apr 23, 2020

If the fence and runner are on your property, then you are not responsible. If the fence is a property line fence, both property owners effectively own it and are responsible to maintain it.

If your dog damaged a property line fence, you are responsible to repair it. More importantly,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning for California on
Q: can a conservation easement holds steal the land?

if the landowner dies and the easement holder goes bankrupt can a third party move in, steal the land?

John Francis Nicholson
John Francis Nicholson answered on Mar 5, 2020

You have provided nowhere near enough facts for anyone to answer your question with an informed opinion. That being said, I think it would be fair to say that no one can come in and "steal the land."

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: If an easement runs with land in Ca and then the land goes through a judicial foreclosure... does this break easement

Related to a sign on commercial Ca property where there were easements made that run with land for access to sign .... but people are not paying and property taxes up. Can we remove their signs ?

George W. Wolff Esq.
George W. Wolff Esq. answered on Feb 11, 2020

Usually an easement would survive a judicial foreclosure.

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: Do you have same rights as a renter, if you are offered Free Rent in exchange for labor fixing the house up?

Ive been offered a house Free Rent just to fix it up. It has a lot wrong with it. Needs toilet, tub put in, new electrical box, trees trimmed, trash cleaned up cause homeless have been coming and going. All kinds of things. I was told that even after everything is fixed I could stay there rent free... Read more »

Manuel Alzamora Juarez
Manuel Alzamora Juarez answered on Oct 30, 2019

I see this pattern a lot in my business. Here is some advice to protect you. write a contract for a nominal rent. Have the landlady agree that you will charge market fees and that she will pay for all supplies.

Each month tally your work and then deduct the nominal rent. If there is a...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.