Q: Someone is pretending to be me , what do I do?

Someone I know is pretending to be me through fake numbers and fake Facebook profile and they are literally harassing theirself from MY name. They have made a police report stating that I've been harassing them and threatening them but I haven't! I'm so scared because they've done this to me before and I went to juvie for it but the case got dismissed afterwards. I'm an adult now and I'll go to actual jail and she's threatening on suing me too. What can I do and how would I prove this isn't me and they're actually the ones harassing me through fake numbers and Facebook's! Or how would I prove that it isn't me , period?!

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Call the local police/detectives office- get the documents together and explain the whole history to them. If the other person has committed identity theft, the police will instruct you on how to prosecute them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.